Choosing the right propeller for your remote control boats might sound easy but there are many different types of propellers you can choose. They come in various size, shapes, and materials. For example, a prop can be made from aluminum, stainless steel, beryllium, plastic, and carbon.
We’re Going To Compare Aluminum Against Stainless Steel Props For Remote Control Boats
The prop or propeller, as you know, is what powers remote control boats through the water. The boat would just sit if it didn’t have a propeller. It’s one of the necessities for running Remote Control boats. Choosing the right one for your boat is easy once you know what you want to do with your boat, such as racing, sailing, competition, or pleasure.
The basic concept of a propeller is like a gear on a bicycle. On a bike, the lower the gear the faster you go. With a propeller, the faster the revolutions per second (RPS) the faster your boat will go. If the prop is too big, too small or even too heavy it can over rev your engine and burn it out. So the first thing you do is find out the RPS for your RC boat engine then choosing a prop will be easy.
One Point to Remember About Props for Remote Control Boats
The type of material the propeller is made out of is only 10% of its performance. The other 90% of the propeller performance is based on the blade design and pitch. The design, pitch, and brand of propeller need to be researched before you buy.
Aluminum or stainless steel blade for remote control boats
An aluminum prop is light weight and durable, plus, it less expensive but it will take damage before a stainless steel prop because it is made out of aluminum and isn’t as tough as a steel prop. The advantage here is the propeller will go before anything can be damaged in the lower part of your boat. With a stainless steel prop there is minimal give in the blade so the boat will take more damage before the blade goes.
If you run your Remote Control boats in salt or brackish water the stainless steel blade is a good one to have. It can take a lot of abuse before it will damage your boat. A stainless steel prop will withstand more damage than an aluminum prop plus the stainless steel prop always give a better performance. However, if you’re into racing then you might want to use an aluminum prop because of its weight.
NOTE: It’s important to carry a spare propeller just in case of accidents. The damaged blade can also cut down on the hydrodynamic performance of your remote contol boats. Also, running a damaged propeller will damage the gear case and the power head of your motor. If the prop just sits and spins out then you can also burn out your motor.
The next post for this series is “Understand propeller pitch for remote control boats” so come on back in a few days to read about how to “pitch” your propeller for your remote control boats.
Remember, you can ask any question about propellers at our Best RC boats and get an answer. What type of propeller do you use on your remote control boats?